Saturday, May 14, 2011

Join the Pack.. We are Social Animals

OK, you are probably getting tired of the puns, but I am a former copy writer and LOVE them, so suffer my dear blog readers...

Joining the pack is simply networking. You can do this in many ways, some are (here comes that favorite word) FREE!
  • Find Trade Organizations: Most of these will have dues. I have found that the dues are usually offset in the first week of joining. When I paid my dues for WRA (Washington Restaurant Association) I got professional input for my menu, free attorney, a rep that visited my restaurant and noted a potential L&I violation (never thought about having an eyewash station), all of this could have cost me several times my investment for joining. Plus I am now email pals with others that have been there, done that, and can give advice on what I should put on my T-Shirts.
  • Consider your local affiliations: Joining my local Chamber of Commerce allowed me to participate in our local trade show, really good exposure and a terrific day of sales. My business benefits from tourists to the area, our Chamber is a good place to promote to those tourists and also new members to our community.
  • Bond with the competition: Auto dealers know that it is advantageous to all locate on the same street and participate in group events. Even though they are competing for the same customers they realize that by joining forces they become a destination to the population ready to buy. Same principle can be used for most businesses.
  • Shake hands with your neighbors... good ol' face to face contact is totally FREE and can provide you with new prospects, potential barter, and cheerleaders! Just make sure you return the favors.

No comments: