Monday, May 9, 2011

What Was I Thinking???

On September 1, 2010... I experienced a human condition that is described as an Entrepreneurial Seizure. It was not my first attack, but this time it was severe enough that I succumbed. At the time I thought it was a unique and personal experience, but later when sitting in the office of my business adviser (I have people now), I learned that this is actually a common malady.

Looking back I probably could have stopped things before they got out of hand. Small business ownership is sort of like being a parent, once you are in the thick of things you: smile, do the best you can, and tell your friends that you are glad for the experience. And just like parenting it can be the hardest job you never got paid to do.

Here are some symptoms that should not be ignored. They could be a warning that, you too are about to have your life turned upside down.
  • You think that most businesses could be greatly improved if they would listen to you.
  • You aren't the best employee for the same reason above.
  • You dream of independence.
  • You are tired of working your tail off for someone else.
I have suffered from those symptoms for a good part of my life. I coped with them by making a career of updating my resume. It wasn't until I was having a difficult time in a sales position that put me in front of a business owner motivated to move on, that things came to a head. One day I was selling advertising to the Dog House and the next I was resigning my position at J. Broadcasting.

My boss took the news quite fine. He said "Well, we make our money off entrepreneurs, and I am one myself, so how can I feel bad about you leaving us to run your own business?" He also expressed excitement about the advertising I would buy in the future, (so far the budget has not been there to do that). Do I think that Boss Bill was probably already picturing my future? He works with small businesses, and owns one of his own. I am sure that he was painting that picture in vivid color.

No comments: